Robotics lessons can be done in Coding Club, makerspace, curriculum classes or library lessons.
Activity for Year 5 students. (Sensors are done in Year 6)
- How NXT Mindstorms work: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzRRulYvVdY&feature=youtu.be
- Worksheet https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LlWBc4_vDkNDlCandhbDhLTjg/view?usp=sharing
- Task sheet https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0LlWBc4_vDkVkhXU1l6WU9xRzQ/view?usp=sharing
It takes Year 5’s 2 lessons to build their robot (using the version in the manual that comes with the kit) and a little longer for the sensors.
Update the Firmware on the devices by plugging the device in and go to the Tools Menu (ALT + T) there will be an item to update the firmware. It only takes a few minutes and is a once only requirement.
Some tips with managing the kits, remind students to:
- Charge robots each night
- Collect the upload cable from the computer and put it with their Robot or in their kit
- Label their robot for easy identification
- Delete old files off the robot before beginning (arrow keys) as it will fill up and not allow any other files to be saved.
- Robots need to be turned on to upload